Grill and oven: Bake pizza with the pizza stone
A fresh and crispy stone oven pizza that from the Italians can only rarely be prepared in the home oven or on the grill. We explain how to achieve the original with a pizza stone.
It does not take much to make a good pizza: knead flour with salt, yeast, sugar, olive oil and water and then let the dough rest for a while. The dough can be rolled out, covered and baked. But often the pizza dough not completely crispy on the baking tray, but stays soft. This is due to the moisture in the dough, which accumulates between the dough and the tray during baking. To make the pizza crispy, we recommend using a pizza stone.
What is a pizza stone?
A pizza stone consists of natural stone, e.g. B. cordierite or fire clay, and can Store heat especially long and absorb moisture. They are also found in ceramics and soapstone. The pizza stone is heated in the oven or on the grill for about 30 minutes at 250-300 ° C and can then be used. When the pizza dough lies on the stone, it absorbs the moisture from the dough so that the bottom becomes crispy. Due to the high temperature, the pizza is ready after a short time – about 6-8 minutes. The shorter cooking time also helps to preserve the topping and preserve the flavors.
How do you bake pizza on a pizza stone?
Baking with pizza stone is easy, but takes a little preparation time. Continue step by step:
- Before using the pizza stone for the first time, wipe it with a cloth and let it dry.
- Place the pizza stone in the oven or on the grill. It takes time at 250 ° C about 30 minutesuntil the stone dies optimal temperature has reached. Be sure to place the stone on a grate near the flame. Temperatures that are too high can damage the stone.
- Sprinkle now flour on the stone and put the pizza on. The flour prevents the dough from sticking. After about 5-8 minutes, the pizza is ready.
- Take the finished pizza off the pizza stone with a pizza spatula.
Comparison of pizza stones
Making your own pizza is not difficult with a pizza stone. For your pizza to also be a success, we present our pizza stone favorites:
1. Loco Bird Pizzastein with Pizzaspade
The pizza stone from Locobird consists of cordierite and is Heat resistant up to 900 ° C. The square, 38 x 30 cm stone is ideal for the grill and also for the oven. There’s one for the stone Aluminum pizza shell and a wooden handle.
2. Rommelsbacher fire clay pizza stone
Of Rommelsbacher pizza stone is 35 x 35 cm in size, consists of chamotte and fits the grill and oven. Before baking the pizza should stone Heat for 30 minutes. In the same way, there is one pizza spade to.
3. BURNHARD pizza stone
Of Manufacturer BURNHARD has a pizza stone of 38 x 30 cm in its range. This is also available with an extra pizza spade. The stone is made of cordieritt and should be heated for about 30 minutes before frying. A brush to remove residue and a damp cloth to wipe are recommended for cleaning.
4. RÖSLE Vario pizza stone
Of Pizza stone Vario from RÖSLE is a round stone chamotte with a diameter of 30 cm. According to Rösle, it is temperature resistant up to 300 ° C and suitable for charcoal and gas grills. After use and cleaning with a damp cloth, the manufacturer recommends removing the stone Dry in the oven at 50 ° C allow.
5. Blumtal pizza stone for oven & gas grill incl. Pizza shell
Of Blumetal pizza stone pass cordieritt and are Heat resistant up to 900 ° C. He is 38 x 30 cm and after 20-30 minutes at 250-300 ° C heated up. There is also a pizza spatula that you can also take off the handle with.
You can find more pizza stones in our pizza stone comparison.
Which grill fits the pizza stone?
In addition to an oven, you can also use different grills for a pizza stone. Gas grills and kettle grills are particularly suitable, as they have a gas supply or ventilation openings check the temperature be able. Some grills even have a thermometer in the lid. This makes it easier to find the optimal temperature for the pizza. In addition, thanks to the size of the charcoal trays, it is possible to grill directly and indirectly. Just move the charcoal to one side of the grill and close the lid to cook. For indirect grilling, place the food to be grilled and the pizza stone next to the heat source. For direct grilling, use the embers with the lid open.
as Alternative to the gas and kettle grill there are also so-called smokers. These work with a combustion chamber where a fire is ignited. The smoke enters a second chamber through a tube and prepares the food there especially carefully and slowly. IN Firebox is often also a grill grateso you can use the pizza stone there too.
How is a pizza stone cleaned and taken care of?
Since a pizza stone should not be cleaned under running water, otherwise it may become brittle, you should proceed as follows when cleaning:
- To remove only light dirt, you can gently rub the pizza stone with one damp cloth wipe off.
- on something coarse dirt also become one brush or a scraper, e.g. B. for ceramic hobs, recommended for loosening burnt or sticky pizza residues.
- If the pizza stone is very dirty, it can so-called pyrolysis recommended. This is a self-cleaning function in newer ovens, where the remains of the pizza stone burn. Alternatively, you can perform this procedure on the grill. But notice the specified maximum temperature from the manufacturer.
Tips: To avoid residues and dirt, you can clean the pizza stone with one barbecue mat setup. You can find suitable barbecue mats in our comparison of barbecue mat.
Recipes for pizza