A party for serial crazy gourmands: We present the unofficial cookbook for the cult series and have a delicious gooseberry pie on offer that should inspire Simon Basset.
Hardly anyone can get past the “Bridgeton” books by author Julia Quinn and the Netflix series of the same name. There are now 8 book titles – the ninth (“News from Lady Whistledown”) will be released on July 21, 2022. Two seasons can already be searched for on Netflix and the third is said to be in the works.
The series hits for all the senses
If you want to experience the series with all your senses, our book recommendation “Enjoy like the Bridgertons – the unofficial cookbook for the series” is the right choice. There are tea pastries, delicacies for a picnic in the park, recipe ideas for a dinner with the queen and much more. We in PRINZ.DE were thrilled with the Duke of Hastings’ favorite: gooseberry pie.
Delicious summer pie recipe: Gooseberry pie for the duke
What do you need for a pie:
For the dough
150g cold butter, plus more to the mold
200 g wheat flour type 405, plus more to work with
1 pinch of salt
For the filling
500 g gooseberries (fresh or frozen)
100 grams of sugar
2 eggs (size M)
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
Peel of 1 untreated lemon
200 g fresh cream
sweet cream, whipped to stiff, or custard
Here’s how it works:
- Divide the butter into cubes. Quickly knead the flour with the butter, 5 tablespoons water and salt to a smooth dough. Wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, mix the cleaned or frozen gooseberries with 50 g of sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of water (omit the water if you have frozen berries) in a saucepan and heat up. Boil the berries for 5 minutes (frozen berries a little longer) while stirring. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C top / bottom heat. Grease a pie tin.
- Beat the eggs with the remaining 50 g sugar and vanilla sugar until fluffy. Stir in lemon zest and crème fraîche. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and coat the mold with it.
- Let the gooseberries drain in a colander if they have extracted a lot of liquid and spread over the pastry base. Pour the custard over and fry the pie on the middle shelf for 40-45 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or custard while still slightly warm.
Not only does it look delicious – it also tastes great! It is best to bake it right away. The Duke will be happy …
Tea time de luxe!
In addition to great recipes, you will find lots of inspiration for stylish table decorations in the cookbook “Enjoy like the Bridgertons”. Of course, the cake tastes even better and you can feel like one of the enchanting main actors.