A classic from the Tuscan bakery is called Torta della Nonna. Here, puff pastry meets creamy pudding layers. Learn how to bake the cake here.
When you hear the word “torta”, do not think of heavy cream cake, but of a delicious cake that is easy to recreate. Just the way you know it from Grandma’s bakery – not for nothing Torta Della Nonna translated to “cake grandmother style”. The Italian grandmothers bake this delicacy for the whole family from Lake Garda to Tuscany. It consists of fine puff pastry and a vanilla cream and is therefore very easy to bake for you. Let’s start with the simple recipe. By the way, if you do not get enough of baking cakes the Italian way, you should also try the Italian version of carrot cake: namely this recipe for delicious Torta Camilla.
Torta della Nonna recipe: the ingredients
For the dough:
- 350 grams of flour
- 120 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon starch
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 150 g butter (cold)
- 1 egg (size M)
- Also: a pie shape
For the vanilla cream:
- 800 ml milk (3.5% fat)
- a little vanilla extract
- 1 egg (size M)
- 2 egg yolks – how easy it is to separate eggs
- 45 g of starch
- 140 grams of sugar
For the topping:
- 30 grams of pine nuts
- a little sugar
Sample image – not the recipe image itself.
The most popular cake classics and cake dreams
Recipe for Italian classic cake: Torta della Nonna
- For the puff pastry: In a mixing bowl, mix flour, starch, sugar and salt.
- Add lemon zest, butter pieces and eggs and knead everything quickly to a homogeneous dough.
- Form it into a dough ball and wrap it in cling film. Cool the dough in the refrigerator for about 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C top / bottom heat well before continuing.
- For the vanilla cream: Boil the milk and add the vanilla extract.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks, starch and sugar until smooth and stir into the milk with a whisk.
- Let simmer over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes until the pudding thickens.
- Pour the cream into a bowl and cover the surface immediately with cling film: this prevents the formation of a skin.
- Combine: Take the puff pastry out of the fridge and roll it out on baking paper to about 5 mm thick. Grease the pie tin with butter and place the rolled dough in the tin. Gently press down and peel off the baking paper.
- Cut off excess dough, form a ball out of it again and roll it out into the pie tin.
- Pour the cooled vanilla cream over the dough and smooth it out. Then place the second rolled dough on top as a lid and press a little on the edge. If there is excess dough, cut it off.
- Bake: Decorate the cake with the pine nuts and then bake in the lower third of the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- La dem Torta Della Nonna then cool in the mold for at least an hour. Then you can take the delicious cake out of the mold, sprinkle with icing sugar, cut into pieces and serve.
This sweet sin really does not need more extras. But if you like it fresher, you can serve it with berries. Enjoy baking and enjoy!
Box list image: © instagram.com/_lucake_